+39 050 2219 373
Scopus Author ID: 57196419469
Supervisors: Prof. Lorenzo Di Bari, Dr. Laura Antonella Aronica
Title: Synthesis and characterization of chiral π-conjugated oligomers for innovative optoelectronic applications
In recent years, π-conjugated polymers and oligomers have found considerable attention as organic semiconductor in the field of optoelectronics; in this field a very important role is played by oligothiophene-based systems.
Their fundamental optical and electrical properties (light absorption and emission, charge transport, exciton transfer, etc.) depend not only on their chemical structure and conformation assumed, but also on the supramolecular interactions and nano/mesoscale organization in the solid-state. Chirality represents a way of controlling supramolecular aggregation of these systems: the introduction of chiral groups in their structure can drive them to organize, through highly specific and directional non-covalent interactions, into architectures with precise chiral geometries, where a perfect alignment between proximate chains is disfavoured with respect to a twisted arrangement. Moreover, non-racemic chiral π-conjugated systems can be studied using chiroptical spectroscopic techniques, in particular electronic circular dichroism (ECD) and circularly polarized luminescence (CPL), which give access to a range of structural information otherwise not observable with other common spectroscopies. However, more importantly, these compounds may be used as chiral organic semiconductors in novel optoelectronic applications: circularly polarized light sensors or emitters, transistors able to discriminate enantiomers, spin filters, etc.
The aim of this project is the synthesis and the characterization of new chiral π-conjugated oligomers for the realization of some innovative optoelectronic devices. Their supramolecular aggregation will be studied in solution and as thin films through optical (UV-Vis, fluorescence, NMR) and chiroptical (ECD, CPL) spectroscopies, in connection with optical microscopy analysis. Lastly, we will try to employ these systems as chiral organic semiconductor for circularly polarized light emitters (i.e. CP-OLED) or detectors (in particular CP-OFET).
6. Poster: “Silylcarbocyclisation-desilylation reactions of N-tosyl-2-ethynylaniline: a new protocol for the synthesis of 2-hydroxyindoline derivatives”, G. Albano, M. Lissia, L. A. Aronica. XXVI Congresso Nazionale della Società Chimica Italiana (SCI 2017), Paestum (Italy), 10 - 14 September 2017.
5. Oral Presentation: “Solution and solid-state supramolecular aggregates of new chiral oligothiophenes: synthesis and spectroscopic characterization”, G. Albano, L. A. Aronica, L. Di Bari. XXVI Congresso Nazionale della Società Chimica Italiana (SCI 2017), Paestum (Italy), 10 - 14 September 2017.
4. Oral Presentation: “Solid-state optical and electrical properties of new chiral oligothiophenes: the central role of supramolecular organization”, G. Albano, L. A. Aronica, L. Di Bari. 9th International Symposium on Nano & Supramolecular Chemistry (ISNSC-9), Naples (Italy), 4 - 7 September 2017.
3. Poster + Flash Communication: “Synthesis and characterization of new chiral oligothiophenes for innovative optoelectronic applications”, G. Albano, F. Salerno, L. A. Aronica, L. Di Bari. 11th European Winter School on Physical Organic Chemistry (e-WISPOC 2017), Brixen (Italy), 29 January - 3 February 2017.
2. Oral Presentation: “Chiral oligothiophenes for optoelectronic applications: synthesis and spectroscopic study of supramolecular aggregation”, G. Albano, M. Lissia, F. Salerno, L. A. Aronica, L. Di Bari. 1st Merck Young Chemists Symposium (MYCS 2016), Rimini (Italy), 25 - 27 October 2016.
1. Oral Presentation: “Supramolecular organization of new chiral π-conjugated oligomers: synthesis and spectroscopic study”, G. Albano, M. Lissia, F. Salerno, F. Zinna, L. A. Aronica, L. Di Bari. ChirItaly 2016, Catania (Italy), 3 - 5 September 2016.
6. M. Górecki, M. A. M. Capozzi, G. Albano, C. Cardellicchio, L. Di Bari, G. Pescitelli, “Stereochemical analysis of β-keto sulfoxides by circular dichroism”, Chirality 2018, 30, 29-42.
5. G. Albano, L. A. Aronica, “Potentiality and Synthesis of O- and N-Heterocycles: Pd-Catalyzed Cyclocarbonylative Sonogashira Coupling as a Valuable Route to Phthalans, Isochromans, and Isoindolines”, European Journal of Organic Chemistry 2017, 7204-7221.
4. G. Albano, M. Lissia, G. Pescitelli, L. A. Aronica, L. Di Bari, “Chiroptical response inversion upon sample flipping in thin films of a chiral benzo[1,2-b:4,5-b’]dithiophene-based oligothiophene”, Materials Chemistry Frontiers 2017, 1, 2047-2056.
3. G. Albano, M. Morelli, L. A. Aronica, “Synthesis of Functionalised 3-Isochromanones by Silylcarbocyclisation/Desilylation Reactions”, European Journal of Organic Chemistry 2017, 3473-3480.
2. L. A. Aronica, G. Albano, L. Giannotti, E. Meucci, “Synthesis of N-Heteroaromatic Compounds through Cyclocarbonylative Sonogashira Reactions”, European Journal of Organic Chemistry 2017, 955-963.
1. G. Albano, C. Evangelisti, L. A. Aronica, “Hydrogenolysis of Benzyl Protected Phenols and Aniline Promoted by Supported Palladium Nanoparticles”, ChemistrySelect 2017, 2, 384-388.
- Curriculum Vitae